Thursday, October 18, 2007

Too much of my life is on my computer

Okay, not really, because I appreciate my lovely little cheapo laptop (it's all silver and purdy and so wide, kinda like me LOL), but when my powercord died on me over a week ago, I thought I was gonna die too. I finally got a replacement today (shopping around is hard without... you know, a computer to research parts, prices, etc.) and I'm trying to catch up. I missed Blog Action Day (wah!), so I just want to say I think my daughter's taking me on a journey of investing the time to discover what I can do better for the planet and her future. For instance, I now clean with pretty much just water and vinegar (I'm still working on toilets, floors--gotta new recipe to try!--and stained coated kitchen sinks--any suggestions there? Baking soda did zip). And I use ziploc bags and paper towels with a dose of guilt now! Just kidding; I am working on taking things step by step. Hopefully in a year we'll use far fewer disposable products and also have healthier food storage/container options. Then there's the whole sweatshop clothes issue... it's HARD to buy all secondhand or even pricey fair pay (and organic?) clothes when you are still wearing almost all of your pregnancy weight! And trying to scrimp money so you can keep being a stay at home mom as long as possible. But I shop at Target with a dose of guilt too. Although I lurve my new $10 shoes that I can slip on and off while wearing/holding Sophie, and the fancy Birkenstock etc shoe store had diddlysquat for me and I was getting desperate because it was raining in San Diego! ANYWAY... obviously there are a lot of things I'm going to be trying out, and hopefully I'll be sharing the successes here. Here's what I'm already doing...
--Cloth diapers. Easy, sooo luxurious I think for baby, and we use biodegradable laundry wash, too.
--Reusing whenever possible. Yes, I WILL take your old baby clothes! NO I don't care exactly what style of clothes they are because she's a baby and couldn't care less, but I bet she wants a planet to live on 40 years from now... Plus she gets plenty of new stylin' stuff as gifts :) Yes, I'll buy your used wrap or mei tai! Yes I will use my library instead of relocating an entire forest to my bookshelves (okay, ANOTHER forest because dang I've got a lot of books).
--Breastfeeding. It uses no extra resources of growing ingredients or tending the cows for the milk, etc, of creating, packaging, shipping, storing in stores with lights and workers and driving to the store--all as formula does. Nope, just me eating, which hey, I was gonna do anyway! Plus it way cuts down on my chances of breast cancer and Sophie's, too! (Just throwing that in there for October!)

All right, that's enough for now. Thank goodness my laptop is back, because I need to finish reading the novel I wrote last year before this year's NaNoWriMo...

3 comments:

Angie said...

glad you got your laptop working again. Been missing you on the boards. Good for you for doing better for the environment. I use these sposie diaps with guilt but well, with only being able to wash laundry once a week.. well I just can't make cloth work for me right now.

Tina said...

Hurray, you're back! I'm loving reading your blog but I gotta ask - do you really find vinegar cleans well? As much as I love the idea I can't see myself washing the bathroom sink with vinegar - does it disinfect at all?

Leanne said...

Yeah, vinegar is a natural disinfectant! If you have folks with weak immune systems or very new babies you might use something with microbial action but I feel good about using it on my bathroom and closet mirrors, windows, sinks... But for really tough jobs like how my coated white sink gets discolored from food and silvery marks from pots, I need something else. I might try that oxy cleaner that doesn't have chlorine bleach next...