Saturday, January 5, 2008

2008-- Ain't it Great?

Wow, I got waaaaay too much positive feedback for my corny humor as a teacher of 9th graders. ANYway...

The year ended in a whirlwind of cozy Christmas celebrations and travel (TF's first trip!). Hopefully everyone will share the pics they took thru email or flickr, because we were so busy enjoying seeing our girl in her first Christmas and hanging out with family, we took very few shots ourselves.

But moving on to the new year: It's time for resolutions. I am a list-maker, so I think I'll aim big here, and see how many of these we can actually take a stab at....

--Lose weight. Yeah, I've done it before, losing 40 lbs, and then I gained it back, oh, creating a life, and it's been stubbornly sticking to me no matter what I do. Breastfeeding has not been a magical quickie weight loss solution with puppies and unicorns and rainbows, not for me at least. I eat well and go for walks, I stay the same. I indulge in homemade cookies and take a break from walking to cuddle nonstop and sit on the floor with TF, and I stay the same. I have reason to believe my hormones are finally going back to "normal" post-pregnancy, so hopefully this will be a productive time to break through. I have been a stickler for all of four days and have already lost a few pounds. I hope NOW the constant nursing TF has been engaging in will egg on the weight loss! Then the resolution for NEXT year can be putting together a whole new wardrobe (of ethical clothing) which will entail figuring out what my style is.... urg....
--Get TF on my back. I got the beco for this purpose, and I've gotten TF up on my back by myself a few times already! I have to do it at home over the bed or couch, but hey, it lets me get housework done again, it's way easier on my back, and we can go for a walk and then come home. We just can't walk TO anyplace I'd want to be able to take her down and get her back up, not without DD. I'm still a bit awkward at it (ZERO spatial sense/imagery) and sometimes TF get impatient, tho she loves it once she's there. So practice, practice, practice!
--Use the slowcooker. Eat well but spend less time scurrying to cook at night. DD's new job makes it easier to cook as he gets home earlier, but still. It'd be nice to assemble ingredients ahead of time and let it brew all day and then just feast at the end of the day. I must look at the huge thread on MDC about good healthy recipes (because cream of whatever canned soup and other similar ingredients are not our favs)
--Eat locally, if not organically. I'm toying with the idea of joining a CSA. I'm worried I'm still juggling new motherhood too much and I'd end up wasting food, but maybe soon... Big focus on eating fresh foods that are in season (and hey, it's California so it's not too hard or full of deprivation), and eating whole foods, not processed foods. Sure, we do this quite a bit already, compared to a lot of kitchens in America I'm guessing, but we want to push this even more.
--Learn to knit. I'm on my way with this one, just have to get some yarn and start practicing. Hopefully I can make some wool diaper covers, to use with prefolds and potty learning. And they can be sooo cute!
--Declutter 2008 in 2008! I think the hardest part will be keeping count. I was RUTHLESS in preparing to make room for baby, but I sure didn't have a tally. But the point is, REALLY push to get rid of STUFF we just don't need. I'm thinking about boxing up knickknacks and other stuff... it just seems the babyproofing is never enough. We'll try to find the balance that works for us.
--Find cool blogs to check in with (there's a whole world out there...) like the authors' blogs I just found...
--READ READ READ! And make that new books, not re-reads of my favorites. Also, finish the nonfiction I start.
--MOST IMPORTANTLY: Just savor my time with my daughter, being the best mom I can be, and be a good wife to my sweet husband.

4 comments:

Hippie Housewife said...

Ah, I did the same thing over Christmas - enjoyed my son and our families and everything so much that I forgot to take many pictures of it all!

Great resolutions. I'm still trying to learn to knit, but have yet to get past rectangles and squares. I really have all the scarves and dishcloths I could ever want now, but every time I look at a pattern for soakers or longies, I break out in a sweat and quickly put it away.

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed year.

Analisa said...

Good list! {{{HUGS}}} from Analisa, new reader from MDC (Megs Mom).

Mary said...

hi! what's MDC? I'd love good healthy slowcooker recipes :)

Leanne said...

Oh, MotheringDotCommune :) The discussion forums at mothering.com. The thread is HUGE and was bumped up not that long ago, so it should be pretty find-able.... hi! :)