Monday, May 12, 2008

Scary, scary, scary!

Um... one more reason to eat whole foods:

Major food companies are adding chemicals to their processed foods that actually turn your taste buds off, and they don't have to tell you on the label, just list "artificial flavors."



I've gotten to the point where even the vague "natural flavors" scares me, because it's more likely than not to be heavily processed corn or soy, produced by synthetic fertilizers and pesticides and extracted by industrial procedures. And I don't need much corn in my diet, and I think soy is starting to creep in too much, too (it IS an endocrine disrupter, afterall-- too much of certain soy can be bad, but someone forgot to tell the processed food companies... or rather, they DID try to tell them but they aren't listening).

Anyway, just one more kick in the pants to reach our goal of eating only "upfront" foods-- mostly whole foods and only processed foods that are upfront about what's in the packaging. Because like Kingsolver says, hard cheeses are hard :) And like I say, ice cream is necessary! And usually when you don't have time to make it yourself! And parents of toddlers sometimes just need convenience foods, admittedly. But it's becoming more and more evident that the slightly higher prices over at the health food store (where I still read labels carefully and leave plenty of the shelves with a laugh) are worth it, more than the hidden price of processed foods.

1 comment:

Hippie Housewife said...

Absolutely. It's scary how little you can trust the processed food companies. The more I read, the more I want to stay far away from that stuff. I'll stick with real food, thank you very much.