Tuesday, September 30, 2008

New American Dream

I just found this site, and I'm enjoying checking it out so far...

New American Dream

I found it through this link about putting an end to bottled water use. We've managed, without any real work or hassle, to go bottle-free very quickly. Very rarely do they pop back into our lives anymore. A Thermos, Sigg, or Kleen Kanteen is all it takes.

Now, to tackle the immense amounts of plastic that come into our house still with every shopping trip! I recycle what I can, but our city only takes plastic 1 and 2. I am agog at all of the packaging we deal with just for a few cups of shredded cheese, for instance-- ack! I fear a bigger effort to buy in bulk and store things in safe containers (in my dream kitchen!) is in order. Slowly, step by step. I remember being totally overwhelmed about making changes two years ago, but we've done a ton already, and it's been easy (with the only real failure our attempt to find a pthaltate-free dishwasher detergent... our dishwasher is dreadful I think). So on we go!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

What kind of water do you drink? I don't love the flavor of our tap, though I use it for cooking and brewing tea and whatnot... but that's been one of my stumbling blocks in eliminating plastic bottles. (I know, I'm whiny.)

Leanne said...

The tap water in Encinitas. I grew up on Davis water, which is highly flavorful (lots of minerals) so I can be picky (I always hated Sacramento water) but I seemed to transition to San Diego water without trouble. We used to just put the water in bottles in the fridge so it would be cold to drink right away, but now we have a lovely fridge filter where we get it. I didn't even think of taste as an issue! Of course!

Joy said...

Hi Leanne! I hear you about the plastic... It is disturbing. I save up my 3, 4 & 5 plastic and take it to the bins in the Zoo parking lot. The company that picks up there is supposed to take 1-5. Not at the WAP though (they have Edco, like us). But doing that I feel like I'm even more aware and frustrated by all the plastic that still can't be recycled... 6, 7, uncoded, random packaging... I recycle packaging for TP and paper towels with shopping and produce bags at the Vons on Santa Fe - the bin says they take 2 & 4 of that type of plastic... Anyway, like practically everything else, recycling is a challenge - we are definitely a waste challenged society.

Joy said...

BTW, Melissa, I don't love the taste of our tap water either. I've found it palatable filtered with a PUR water filter and refrigerated. But pouring cold water from a pitcher into bottles when you go out is probably not something you have time for!

Leanne said...

Wow, I had JUST this morning been wondering where in the area I could take some of those other numbered plastics! Cosmic! But yeah, it seems like there are always more... thank you for that info!