Thursday, October 30, 2008

VOTE

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE


Just VOTE!

Hey, I know all you near and dear to me are going to vote, but this is my psychic cry to the population of California and the country. Last weekend we sat down with our sample ballots, mailers, and the internet and figured out each item on the ballot. Here's how I'm voting. Feel free to tell me if you think I've gone astray on any... some of these were vague calls, even after the research we managed to put into it. Some of course we are gung ho about. I don't care how you vote, just vote! (Okay, I DO care and we are disgusted by some of the stuff going on in this election, but I'd rather people actually think about it all for themselves, do some real research, and actually vote rather than just sit it out. That's the worst.)

President:
Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congress: Pick Nick!
State Assembly: Maxfield... just voting the party ticket on this one, I must admit.
Schools: Um, anyone want to nudge me on the Miracosta stuff? I have no idea about the issues or anything. I would tend to vote for whomever the teachers support but I don't know what their union name is to google.
SDUH School District: Hergeshiemer and Dalessandro, supported by my union.
Encinitas USD: Skiljan and Page's write ups had more of the educational keywords I know and love versus the very popular (judging from all her signs and endorsements) Mo... but I'm going to vote with my teacherly gut here.
Encinitas City Council: Houlihan, Collier, and Nanninga. I like the moderate-ness of Houlihan, how Collier is going to work with her, how their fliers were printed on 100% recycled paper!!! and I like Nanninga's environmentalism. Isn't it lovely I get to vote for three people? Perfect.

Propositions:
Prop 1A: Yes. Tough call as I worry it diverts money from intra-city public transportation (that serves people who NEED it), but I just can't say no to a chance to vote for public transportation like this. I think we need WAY more public trans EVERYwhere. So I hope this gets the ball rolling.

Prop 2: Yes. I love that CA can help make this the new standard in factory farming. Not QUITE as bad as it is now, all right! Yeah, there's debate about farms leaving CA, but it's freaking CA. People will farm here. And when it comes down to it, it's the least we can do.

Prop 3: I am totally not sure if these hospitals are for-profit places that we shouldn't be supporting with public money or not. For now I've got Yes b/c it's kids' hospitals for crying out loud... but I am hoping to get more info on this one.

Prop 4: No. I am totally against abortion but I think we should be working to find ways to reduce abortions (social support ways, not placing power over woman's bodies in the not-always-competent government's hands), not make girls face possibly abusive parents and coat hangers. No more deaths from "anemia," you know?

Prop 5: I've got yes on this right now. I think people deserve the chance to improve themselves, with help for addiction, rather than being thrown in jail. I believe in people and forgiveness. But I am willing to hear more about this prop still.

Prop 6: No. Doesn't seem to be good law-making or likely to reduce crime.

Prop 7: No. I LOVE the idea of changing over dramatically to green power, but this is just pouring money into a couple big companies. I want a better law to vote for next time. Until then, I'm cloth diapering and recycling!

Prop 8: No. Think they gays will teach your first grader to be gay? Um, no. Rather, I think a LOT of kids have been exposed to this whole topic THROUGH THE NASTY CAMPAIGN ADS being shown during the World Series. Ugh! As Dashing Daddy said, this is no different from people fifty years ago trying to restrict interracial marriages. Or interfaith. I see it as a total separation of church and state. Let Caesar have back what belongs to Caesar and all that. It's just unfortunate semantics. Marriage under civil law is ALREADY totally different from the sacrament that my church helped my husband and I bestow upon each other. And our marriage doesn't need protecting, thank you.

Prop 9: No... I think? The people who should know seem to think this is a redundant law. It sounded good to me, but I am trying to make an educated decision here... and this is an example of where that can be very muddling!

Prop 10: No. Even more just giving money to a few companies under the guise of going green. We need to do far more, and I do better green work with my own money for now, thank you!

Prop 11: No...well, maybe yes. But probably no.

And that's after an hour of research. Props can be great and silly here in CA. I'm trying to do my part.

Just remember...

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I've voted and mailed it in!